The town of Tuttle was founded following the arrival of the Frisco Railroad in 1902. Whenever we find a group of people gathered together, their thoughts turn to the Divine. Just such a group met in Jason Carlyle’s store on Bond Street, where the First United Methodist Church of Tuttle first found its roots in a Union Sunday School.
From there, the group moved to the new school house, located on the high hill where Tuttle Elementary School now stands. The little group worshiped together there each Sunday.
In the summer of 1903, Mr. Linebaugh, Presiding Elder, organized the church. Soon after the organization of the church, Rev. Satterfield called the ladies of the church together and organized a Ladies Aid Society.
The Tuttle Congregation was offered a church building from neighboring Union City if they had the means to move it. The church members picked cotton, served dinners, etc., to raise the money to buy a lot for the new church building.
In October, 1910, the first Epworth League was organized. On April 13, 1910, Tuttle was hit by a severe wind and hail storm, completely destroying the Methodist Church. After the storm, services were held in a building on Bond Street. A building committee was appointed to build a new church building. The work was started and the new church was completed between 1910 and 1920. An addition was added to the church in 1930.
Along came the 1960’s and the congregation was growing. It was unanimously decided to build a new church. The Methodist Church Conference approved the building plans on May 20, 1962. Three acres, formerly part of Lon Basset’s farm, were purchased and donated to the church by Roy and Ida Osborn. This became the site of the present day First United Methodist Church of Tuttle (402 S. Cimarron).
On June 14, 1965, construction began on the new building and was completed in November of that same year. However, due to a delay in the arrival of the new pews, the first church service in the new building was not held until January 16, 1966. An open house was held in the new church on Sunday, February 6, 1966 and Rev. Don Schooler, District Superintendent of the Oklahoma City South District, dedicated the new church building.
The congregation continued to grow. On August 17, 1972, a church meeting was held to have the United Methodist Conference approve a new addition on the north side of the church. The new construction would be 2,920 square feet. It was approved. Another conference was held April 23, 1973, to approve remodeling in the sanctuary and foyer, adding carpet, and moving the nursery to a room in the southeast corner of the church.
The church celebrated its 80th anniversary on September 19, 1982. Community service has always been a key aspect of the church since its founding. Along with the Community Store, a food pantry was also started in the 1980’s.
In 2002, the church celebrated its 100th anniversary. With the enthusiasm of the church’s centennial and a growing congregation, in 2002, it was decided that it was once again time to add on to the church building. The addition would be made at the south end of the church, totaling 8,300 square feet. It would become the new Christian Family Life Center. The Dedication Service for the new building was held on October 9, 2005, with Rev. Marty Barnes presiding.
On January 16, 2011, the church held Heritage Sunday to celebrate the 45th year anniversary of the first worship service held in the present building.
As you can see, the First United Methodist Church of Tuttle, Oklahoma has a long and tradition-rich history. *The photo is the Methodist Church in 1952. Painted by Deanna Hardesty.